Kevin is so, so attractive when gobbling up really impressive books. Like anything by Einstein.
Last night, we sat on the couch, eating something, and he read me letters from Einstein's Ideas and Opinions, and I think I finally sussed out my ideas and opinions about Israel. Based on Einstein. Of course. Einstein makes a clear distinction between Israeli Nationalism and Zionism, and to those two theories I must provide a clearer definition.
Israeli Nationalism perpetuates injustice, a theocratic democracy (which is really impossible) and segregation amongst groups of people.
Zionism is the idea of Jewish community.
And Einstein was a die-hard Zionist, but did not condone some of the actions of Israeli nationalists during the Israeli War for Independence.
Crap! I wish I had a copy of Kevin's book in front of me now. What Einstein (who was an atheist) did say was that true Judaism promoted brotherhood of humankind. I, personally, feel that this is contrary to some of the Israeli government's actions. My confusion, however, was instigated when I approached the Kotel. I was overcome with strong emotions of love and compassion, peace and forgiveness. This moment was possible because Israeli WAS a Jewish state, and because the Jews fought so hard in the War for Independence and during the Six Day War (and during countless other moments since 1948).
What is hard for me to swallow, however, is the fact that Israelis are not taking an active humanitarian stand in helping Palestinians rebuild lives and countries. We displaced them, and then did not help them reestablish. OF COURSE they are angry. OF COURSE this sounds cruel.
I am a Zionist. I believe that the IDEA of a JEWISH COMMUNITY is essential for the sustainability of a beautiful faith and culture. I believe in IDEAS, for ideas are the very thing that fuels passion. Dr. King had a dream, an idea, that black and white people could become equals. The truth is that his idea has not fully blossomed; racism is still a hallmark of our culture. But, his idea fueled legal change in this country, and still inspire so many people to think about what the true consequences of racial identity are.
The idea of a Jewish community (Zionism) has saved this culture, and for that, I feel that need to embrace Zionism and recognize my ethnicity. I am part of it, and it is part of me.
What I am not, however, is an Israeli Nationalist. I would support a Jewish nation that provided humanitarian solutions to conflict. But right now, I don't see that. And this makes me sad.
Sometimes, humans get lost in translation. This is one of those moments. This is one of those moments where we need to feed of of an idea, but be cautious in our actions.