While listening to the amazing Lime and Violet podcast late last week, I learned about the Knitterly Letter Swap----one day too late! I was so devastated. Ever since I was a kid, all I have ever wanted was a good penpal. I had one from Australia that I wrote quite a few letters to. A couple of months went by with no response. (Up until a few years ago, I still had that address memorized!) Then, in my third grade class, we were penpals with students from a different county in West Virginia. I watched my classmates receive elaborate letters with pictures and tons of information. My letters sometimes didn't even have a proper salutation, and you can just forget about pictures. I remember the day we were supposed to meet our penpals. They visited our school. I introduced myself to my penpal, and all she said was "I hate you."
*Sigh*
I know! It was tragic! All my friends had a new friend and spent the afternoon playing, and my penpal was some punk! I get really protective about who I was as a kid sometimes, and now I just want to call that girl's mom and tell her to teach her daughter manners. I wonder what ever happend to that penpal.
I was too late to sign up for the Knitterly PenPals, but contacted a few other stragglers who were also too late. And guess what! I have two penpals now, and one of them is international!
Today, on my lunch break, I am going to walk into Shepherdstown and go to the amazing card shop (Herb Lady) and buy two beautiful cards and some potpourri to go into the card. Actually...maybe I will hold off on the potpourri and ask them what kind of smells they like first. :) You can't assume too much when you start getting to know people through the mail.
I am so excited! I can't wait to think about what is "proper" for a letter. I can't wait to formulate my life into stories (truthful stories) and share my feelings and experiences with these women. And I can't wait to hear about their lives, smell their letters, and create images of who they are. I can't wait to experience this kind of friendship, and I promise to be loyal!
Oh...and I can't wait to send them yarn.
Drool.