Monday, April 2, 2007

Kafka Had Me At Hello

Ginny woke from uneasy dreams one morning to find herself transformed into a ball of yarn----unwound.

I wanted to start this blog off with a good sentence. One of my amazing English professors in undergraduate told us that the first sentence of Franz Kafka's metamorphosis was the best first sentence ever written anywhere: Gregory Samsa woke from uneasy dreams one morning to find himself changed into a giant bug. It is such a hideous picture...a giant bug in a bed...and one that I would never characterize myself as. But a big ol' ball of yarn?

Anyone can draw any conclusions about the meaning of Kafka's story. But the bottom line is that we all wake up at some point in our lives to find we are not the *thing* we thought we were.

And right now, I am a ball of yarn---unwound.

I will leave the translation up to you.

Now, some people (me included) love, love, love yarn. We prefer it not to be unwound, but either in nice wound balls or knit into some creative masterpiece. That is what they are there for. To be masterpieces.

We can all become a masterpiece.

Today, I didn't knit. At all. And sometimes this is devastating. Sometimes we can blame it on good fiction. Or wonderful Japanese steakhouses. But tomorrow, I hope to pick my pointy sticks back up. And knit a masterpiece. And maybe create something beautiful on this screen.