----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: JK
To: Ginny
Date: Jun 30, 2009 12:42 PM
Subject: Pictures and stories from Israel!
Ginny,
I read your blog about wanting to move to Israel. Please keep in mind this JK-derived list of things that came to my head when I read your blog:
1) You were born Jewish, no doubt. But you were also born a Southern West Virginian.
2) You are a double sided coin. Here the Jewish side of Ginny is face down. In Israel the country girl will be face down.
3) Will your voice be heard in Isreal? Are you ready to not belong to a such an overpowering minority?
4) How much would it cost me to fly over there? Will I be able to ride a camel? If I visit will everything we do be Jewish-centric or will we be able to just have a good time?
5) If you spiritually feel a need to be there, then I support you. If you are sick of struggling here and just want to fit in I am afraid I may have lost touch with you. I only know you to be a unique, celebrated individual.
6) Will "All-Things-Ginny" get lost behind a need to fit in or feel accepted?
7) you will be loved by me no matter where you go or for what reasons.
JK.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JK,
This is why I heart you more than just about anyone else in my life.
1. You are right. I will never loose that.
2. This relates to your first bullet. I am a double sided coin. While I will never identify with Christianity, that culture is part of me. West Virginia will always be part of me. The mountains have reproduced themselves on my body---hips, rolls, curves. Boobies (mountain top removal).
3. I will still be a minority in Israel. I grew up a Conservative Jew, my mother converted Conservative, and that is a minority in Israel. Furthermore, many Israelis don't consider me a Jew because of that. Whatev.
4. Eh. Flight costs fluctuate. Anywhere from 700-2000 will get you to I-ville. So, we won't be religiously Jewish-centric if you come, but we will culturally be Jewish-centric. But we will go to the Christian quarter of the old city, explore the B'Hai Gardens in Haifa. And a camel ride----doi duh!
5. I will always be a unique, celebrated individual. I see moving to Israel as an extension of that.
6. I won't fit in there. I am like the square object trying to fit into a circular hole.
7. I love you so much, my friend. That will never die.