Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Cool, Cool River

There was a time and place of my life that I don't want to let go of. It is made up of smells, a town skyline, a few songs.

Tonight, I revisited. Sitting here at my laptop. Paul Simon was my time machine.

And I believe in the future
We shall suffer no more
Maybe not in my lifetime
But in yours I feel sure
Song dogs barking at the break of dawn
Lightning pushes the edges of a thunderstorm
And these streets
Quiet as a sleeping army
Send their battered dreams to heaven, to heaven
For the mothers restless son
Who is a witness to, who is a warrior
Who denies his urge to break and run


This guitar, these lyrics, the ethos of the song....all these things take me back to that moment in my cruddy kitchen above the bakery. My apartment with the high ceiling and the candles and the man and the steak pot pie and me. Half drunk off red wine. I was part of the music.

These lyrics, the way Paul Simon sings about....
I cry. I am at that moment when the Shiraz had gone to my head.

I was once smiling on top of a building in Shepherdstown. Twinkly Christmas lights seduced me.
Some people do yoga to get in touch with their bodies.
My imagination, my hope do all that for me.