Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ginny, the One Sock One-der

I think I live for vacation time. Long weekends. Or maybe I am destined to be a stay-at-home wife. I would cook every day. I would have a beautiful home. It would be clean and neat.

And I would knit more than one sock.





This is my beautiful Heather Purple cotton sock. Yeah for Cestari.





Oh, oHHH....maybe I would get serious about an Etsy store or open my own online business. I would be the next Adrian. I really wish I could pull off the whole overalls thang like she does.

January has been the usual weird month that it always is. I started my last semester of my graduate program...a program that I am both really happy and really unhappy with. I have learned so so so so much from this program. Half of what I have learned, though, has been more an exercise in critical thinking. *maybe that is what grad school is supposed to be about in theory* BUT...this is more critical thinking about how politicized my program is...I am more and more disappointed with the people upstairs who run my division and also run the program.

Such is life.

My next trip to Israel is just shy of two months away, and I am SO BUSY preparing for this adventure. The first seven days of my trip are for community service with JNF. The second portion of my trip (time line TBA) will be an adventure of solitude, and for that I am grateful.

When I was in undergrad, I made a conscious decision to remain single for the rest of my life. I am persnickety. I find virtue in spinsterhood. I am easily irritated by people surrounding me. And here came along Kevin. He is truly a beautiful person. Quiet. Reserved. Funny. Brilliant. And in so many ways, he affords me the singleton life I dreamed of. The other half of me still has that Barbie Doll dream of childhood. My partner would be this perfect person. Our society lets us dream up these men, and much to our dismay they rarely exist.

Without saying too much, I should be nicer to Kevin. I am the crabbiest apple among bushels of crab apples. And in reality, he really lets me live out the life of solitude I desire.

So in March, my friends, it will be me, the smooth hummus, Israeli tang, kippas and shaloms, and the amazing world that is Israel. I want to spend a whole day just sitting on the Mediterranean beach in Tel Aviv and let the water hit my feet. I want to spend a whole day LOST in Jerusalem's Old City. I want to spend an evening meditating at the Kotel with my Jewish sisters. And I want to spend another whole day (or two) lathered in mud at the Dead Sea.

Pictures to follow...