Saturday, June 30, 2007

Let the Slimming Begin

Hm. My last post was in April. Wow! Time flys when you aren't having fun! Sorry to get this post off to a bad start, but the past month and a half has been, well, difficult. Trying. Painful. Yet, inspiring.

For starters, Kevin and I are coming out of a tragedy with (what we hope will be) flying colors. The details of said tragedy are not to be disclosed here, but trust me when I say they are F*ED UP! Our life is dramatically changing, and I hope for the good.

Sometimes, really dramatic, horrific things happen in life that, oddly enough, can be explained. And sometimes, it is those very dramatic, horrific thing that make you evaluate what you have in life and make changes that can only improve the world.

All of this coupled with the fact that I am doing a practicum in Fairfax, VA (outside of D.C) and traveling a whole hell of a lot equates with the inevitable weight gain. Which is a nice segway into my next subject:

The other piece of news is that my slimming down has begun.

I aint going to tell you my start weight, but I will tell you I started counting points on Thursday.

I went to a meeting last week, and the woman smiled so much while she talked about watermelon. It reminds me of my previous weight loss journey (the successful one) and how annoying the meetings can be, but how much I secretly like the meetings.

I ate soy flakes for breakfast this morning, and my were they yummy. I wish I was one of those people who was naturally predispositioned to like healthy foods, and who doesn't find regulating food difficult. You know what I am talking about----the people who find it easy to be vegetarian or find it easy to eat grain like it is candy. In some ways, I think they are just as obsessed with food as I am----me, the compulsive overeater.

Tina at ilikeseamonsters.com is definately my biggest inspriation. You should check her out. Oh, and yesterday, I discovered hungry-girl.com. Fabulous website. I wish she would post pictures.

I think it boils down to the fact that where food is concerned, I am in no way, shape, or form able to control what I eat. I will probably be on weight watchers the rest of my life, and you know what....that is ok. I find it easy to get on tangents about social conditioning and psychosocial theory, and in reality, I don't factor food into part of my broader scope of understanding the world. This means I must be congnizant of the realities of what the food industry has done to us...we are conditioned to overeat, and to not be satisfied until we do.

Ah, tangent.

Did I mention that The Gilmore Girls are my new crack? They are. My first daughter will be named Lorelai.